Since This Is The Month Of Love...
Archaeologists in Italy believe they have discovered an example of eternal love after the discovery of two skeletons buried between 5,000 and 6,000 years ago, hugging each other.Elena Menotti, who led the team on its dig near the northern city of Mantova, described the find as "an extraordinary case". "There has not been a double burial found in the Neolithic period, much less two people hugging, and they really are hugging." Menotti said she believed the two, almost certainly a man and a woman although that needs to be confirmed, died young because their teeth were mostly intact and not worn down.
"I must say that when we discovered it, we all became very excited. I've been doing this job for 25 years. I've done digs at Pompeii, all the famous sites," she said. "But I've never been so moved because this is the discovery of something special." A laboratory will now try to determine the couple's age at the time of death and how long they had been buried.
So...where do we go from here if they find the embrace is that of two men or two women? Either way it goes...if it is a loving embrace they are really in...it's cool. One of the occupations of my childhood that I aspired to was archaeology...so things such as this are very interesting to me. (Aljazeera via Reuters)
So now this takes me to the interesting topic we've all seen over the years about Thomas Jefferson and the possibility of his fathering children of his slave Sally Hemmings.
So what we have here is new information on the DNA of Mr. Tom's past...and apparently it isn't a puzzlement anymore from what the article goes on to reveal.

DNA tests carried out on two British men have shed light on a mystery surrounding the ancestry of Thomas Jefferson, America's third president.
In the 1990s, DNA was taken from male relatives of Jefferson to see if he fathered a son with one of his slaves.
They found the president had a rare genetic signature found mainly in the Middle East and Africa, calling into question his claim of Welsh ancestry.
But this DNA type has now been found in two Britons with the Jefferson surname. More...















The couple makes me sad as I look at their bones. I wonder if they were hugging in fear because they knew they were about to die? Will they know how they died?
Posted by
pissed off patricia |
8:18 AM
POP...actually they are not far from Verona where Shakespeare of course has the story of Romeo and Juliet's origins. Before I found that out today...I had already thought of it and nearly blogged it.
Posted by
sumo |
10:42 AM
love the non-political post! they're as rare as spotted owls around here.
and to respond to the last post: i don't think W is dumb i just think he's an atrocious listener and has all the forethought of a drugged teenager.
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:26 AM
I don't see any wedding rings. Fornicators? Kidding, who'd have thought that two human skeletons could look so romantic?
Posted by
Anonymous |
12:44 PM
Creepy yet Romantic? :P
Posted by
Unknown |
3:53 PM
Very touching and comforting, in an odd way. . .
Posted by
John Good |
6:48 PM
What if they were both males
Posted by
Graeme |
11:33 PM