To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order, to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right. Confucius

Sumo Merriment

« Home | The English Patient Joins Mile High Club Status... » | Celebrity Panties And The Bermuda Triangle... » | Dub's Surge Exactly What Osama bin Laden Wants... » | Is This Still Relevant?... » | The Photograph That Ended a War But Ruined a Life » | Since This Is The Month Of Love... » | More Molly Tributes... » | Let There Be Sex... » | When The Peace Sign Isn't The Finger Gesture Of Ch... » | May Peace Be Upon You...Molly Ivins... »



Watched C-Span Today...

|

I watched C-SPAN today morning and afternoon. I listened to both sides of the isle speak about the vote for the 'surge" that the prez wants for Iraq. You know...the yes or no vote. Lots of rhetoric going on...some of it ordinary just like the speaker...and some spoken brilliantly. If you pay attention you can tell which people really care what they are talking about...and others are just talking because they are compelled to. The brilliant speakers were those that believed in and probably actually wrote what they spoke of. And then this little munchkin of a lady came to the podium and I couldn't pay attention anymore because I had my nose stuck in a dictionary for some time. And here's why...
A little lady named Ileana Ros-Lehtinen R. Florida 18th District Miami


She gave a good speech...she said the usual things from the right side of the isle...she said it with much conviction and quite intelligently. Or so I thought! She was expostulating on being attacked by Islamists and said a very unfortunate grammatical thing. I least I thought so...so that is why I stuck my head in the dictionary for a time to make sure I was right...and I was.

She was talking about them attacking us with impunity. With impunity is the kicker. If they were to attack us with impunity...it really means attack us with exemption from punishment, penalty or harm. That's right...impunity specifically implies escape or freedom from punishment. How I wish people would get their words right. Anyway...here's an example of the proper way to use impunity...(to commit a crime with impunity)...meaning committing a crime with exemption from punishment.

Now...there is a word...impugn..means to attack physically...attack by argument or criticism...oppose or challenge. You cannot take the word impugn and turn it into impugnity...the dictionary only shows...impugner, impugnable and impugnation. I'm weird this way about how educated, obviously well spoken people can screw up sometimes and get something wrong...and Ms. Ileana screwed the pooch on this one. My source was Webster's College Dictionary...perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong...in which case if that happens...I apologize in advance for my stupidity...which is more than the Munchkin did.

But I cannot forget Valentine's Day for you...


Here's your Valentine Cake...


And your Valentine Cookies


Of course...Valentine Pie

I have three pretty Valentines for you!

Labels:


Yum to the three food valentines! Do you think I could eat all three with impunity? Happy Valentine's Day!


I think li'l Ms. Representative thinks the War is wrong too. She just wants us to invade Iran already and get it over with because they are the real terrorists.

We couldn't possibly have done anything murderously violent to antagonize anyone. Right?

Damn! that cake looks good! Not to impugn the quality of pie nor cookies mind you. {-;

Happy VD!


Like you, the speech's were interesting, at least from the L!
Seeing the headlines about the budget, and how Vet Benefits will be cut again after 2 years to balance said budget, I wondered why no one was bringing that up, as to how it tells the Troops how much GW really thinks about what they are doing? ; (
If I made a 5 minute speech, I'd throw that out among others!

Happy V to U! : )


First of all, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO YOU! Thanks for the treats. Dee-lish!

I listened to some of it yesterday but I got into a screaming match with my tv. Some of the speeches were just so far from reality that I wondered how the speakers could keep a straight face while reading them.


Happy valentines day sumo! I am SO having some of that pie. Impunity be damned.


Happy Valentines Day Sumo. I pick the cake. Chocolate and raspberries I love.


Happy Valentines Day, Sumo! Now. . .are seconds allowed??


Writing with mouf full, chomp, slurp. Mmmmmm - good! Thanks Sumo.

I can not possibly watch these speeches without feeling I've fallen into a mental ward where no one knows what planet they are living on.


Sumo, Happy VD to you, and you really serve up some tasty-looking treats. Thanks.

If you aren't sick enough listening to the War debate, look at what some Wing-Nuts are serving up as "Democratic Porn"
Love Democratic Style


Happy VD to all and seconds all around.

Yeah...the right side of the isle is something to behold...they are all in goose step with the dub. Well...a few smart ones that listen to their constituents are going over the isle. It restores a tad of faith for those few on the right aren't all brainwashed into an oblivious stupor.

Earl...that video was a shocker that they had the nerve to say those things. They should all be flogged for letting the admin mold their independent thoughts into their own. They aren't smart enough to realize that they follow their leaders like lemmings. And we all know what happen to lemmings!


mmm, Valentine's cake.

We're calling it VD now? I always thought it was the clap...


That pie looks terrific!

I've seen Ros-Lehtinen before. Cuban-American wingnut.


The Valentines treats look good..
Happy Valentines Day to you..


I sort of know now how some visable minorities feel when one of their own hue is commiting a boo-boo. According to the munchkin's name, I must share the same origins, and there is nothing I can do about it. Thankfully, you served a really delicious assortment of sinfully decadent baked goods that will go a long way to ensure the proper healing that I am going through now. Lots of love to ya!


Ileana may have Cuban origin...but for some reason I thought she was also Jewish. Mayhap her husband is Jewish. Maybe I heard it on Bill Maher...don't know...don't care. I know she irritates me on Bill's show...she's pushy. Don't like when people are pushy in a group.

Yeah VD is the new disease on 2-14


Happy Valentine's Day my dear! What a delicious table you set! I listened to the pontificating a bit today too. And you are right. Some of the speakers obviously were speaking from their hearts. Others followed Party checklists. All in all - not very satisfying; and not really what you'd call a debate. Sometimes I'll watch "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" just to convince myself there are actually people up there who give a damn.


I sure agree with you there.


Sumo, Lehtinen is a very common Finnish name. Sort of Smith of Finland.

Post a Comment


Bring it On!

Who Links Here

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines

Get Firefox!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com