SOTUA...Or...Why Jim Webb Looked Presidential...

You think this face looks pained...you should have seen the look on the face of Condi Rice...the Secretary of State no less...midway through his speech. She could see it and feel it...the Congress wasn't buying his rhetoric about Iraq...not even some of those on the right of the aisle. In fact they didn't buy into a lot of his speech...even though they tried to put a good face on it by jumping for standing ovations as if they had invented that. Some of the most important words were spoken by Senator Jim Webb of Virginia in a democratic rebuttal which I found his presence to be very Presidential...something that we Americans have lacked for 6 years.
The response came via Jim Webb with the sentiments of the Congressional majority...made up of Democrats and dissenting Republicans whose numbers are growing...and he said in part...
"The President took us into this war recklessly. He disregarded warnings from the national security adviser during the first Gulf War, the Chief of Staff of the Army, two former commanding generals of the Central Command, whose jurisdiction includes Iraq, the director of operations on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and many, many others with great integrity and long experience in national security affairs. We are now, as a nation, held hostage to the predictable--and predicted--disarray that has followed," the Reagan Republican turned Democratic Senator explained.
"The war's costs to our nation have been staggering. Financially. The damage to our reputation around the world. The lost opportunities to defeat the forces of international terrorism. And especially the precious blood of our citizens who have stepped forward to serve.
"The majority of the nation no longer supports the way this war is being fought; nor does the majority of our military. We need a new direction. Not one step back from the war against international terrorism. Not a precipitous withdrawal that ignores the possibility of further chaos. But an immediate shift toward strong regionally based diplomacy, a policy that takes our soldiers off the streets of Iraq's cities, and a formula that will in short order allow our combat forces to leave Iraq."
This is what most Americans want to hear...not just from one Senator...but from a Congress that is prepared to restore the system of checks and balances and force a change from this President to a different course of action. Jim Webb rocked!















Webb's response blew Bush away, definitely show Shrub whose more Presidential.
Posted by
Frederick |
4:42 AM
I didn't watch it. Now I wish I had.
Posted by
PBS |
4:46 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted by
Coffee Messiah |
5:21 AM
(sorry about the above! ; ( )
After hearing that his speech was up to 50 minutes or so, decided to read.
Saw Webb this morning and thought it covered all that needed to be covered.
Now, if Cheney & Rove get theres, is the door that Webb mentioned too far behind for GW?
I certainly hope not.
Posted by
Coffee Messiah |
5:22 AM
I missed the whole damned thing due to an early crash and cough meds. I did see clips of Webb this morning and he surely did look like a guy who can take control. I wouldn't want to mess with him or piss him off.
In the clips I saw of bush this morning he looked like a has-been movie star trying to restart his career. No one seems to have the guts to tell him, he's over.
Posted by
pissed off patricia |
6:43 AM
I muted the sound and played "The Fool on the Hill" in the background. I did give Webb my full attention...he definitely rose the to occasion!
Posted by
Blue |
6:58 AM
I missed a good portion of it due to the Live Drunk SOTU Blogging last night. That cartoon is DEAD ON! =) I am always impressed with what you are able to dig up, Sumo!
Posted by
John Good |
5:30 PM
Ah man......Busted!!
I ain't doing nothing but fiddle fartin'
Posted by
magicfingers |
7:27 PM
POP, remember, Bush DID piss off Sen. Webb a couple of months ago, with his "How's yer boy?" remark, followed by rudeness of the sort only this preznit is capable of. I wonder if Bush thought of that exchange as he read the reviews Webb received from just about everybody yesterday.
Posted by
Steve Bates |
10:13 PM
Fred...Webb in...Bush oh sooo out!
pbs...I've been watching the last two speeches because not only do we have a lot at stake...but I want to watch him when he lies. Now that the Congress is dominated by the Dems...it has sort of changed things up a bit...I like watching him squirm.
CM...it would be nice for the door to slam his ass on the way out...I could get behind that! Pun intended.
POP...when ill one should never take on more than they can swallow...and the Dub is a hard one. Keep that medicine handy in the months to come you may need it...although I am wishing you a speedy recovery...for Fred the Cat's sake of course.
Bluegrrrrl...that song was perfection for the occasion.
John...sorry I missed the libations last night...I'm glad you like the cartoons...I work hard at finding appropriate ones for the subject. I can't always get lucky in my search, but I do try to entertain.
Magicfingers...what in the name of Judas Priest is "fiddle fartin'"?? It might be a good thing for me...so give...what is it?
Steve...you're right about Webb and his attitude...don't blame him...he was serious and firm...and that is what we all need to hear and see. It wouldn't hurt for the rest of the world to see it either. I truly think they feel Dub is a disgrace and lump us in with him. Ewwww!
Posted by
sumo |
11:53 PM
Web really was impressive, eh. It was good to see him take that tack.
Here's the YouTube of Webb's response.
Posted by
Michael Bains |
3:00 AM
Webb had the pleasure of knowing what he was going up against and took advantage of the situation. Since you and I spent the entire evening watching MSNBC, we heard lots of talking heads wax poetic about Webb, as well they should. The man did an excellent hit job on the current Asshat to occupy the oval office.
Posted by
Unknown |
3:24 AM
Oh, my god, I have to steal that cartoon. Forgive me, but I'm going to. Too funny.
Posted by
DivaJood |
7:43 AM
funny he should use the phrase "not one step backward" after being, it can be surmised, very anti communist when reagan was in office...
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:25 AM