To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order, to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right. Confucius

Sumo Merriment

« Home | Some Good Reading... » | CBC Leader Resigns After Bowel Comments... » | Hugo Chavez...Come Into The Court... » | So Here's What Mr. Jimmy Has To Say About Our Geor... » | Did Ya Think I'd Be Missin' This Yarr Day?... » | Who Lives In A Pineapple Under The Sea... » | The Pope Is Sorry Alright!... » | Too Tired To Blog...So The Next Best Thing... » | Rabbis Ordained In Germany... » | A New Direction... »



This Is Good For The Workplace...Most Places...Okay...A Few Places...

|


Dogs At Work...this I would enjoy...

There is something about where Ryan Hayes works that millions of Americans would love.

Replacements Ltd. is a large china and silverware retailer with cookie-cutter corporate contemporary looks — until you look closer. As CBS News correspondent Richard Schlesinger reports, Hayes has company in his cubicle: Coco, his beagle puppy.

He's not alone. There are dogs all over the company, which encourages its 500-plus employees to bring them in. It's a perk that pays off. "You do work better because if you're maybe having a bad day, you can just look down at your feet and you smile," Hayes says. As for the barking, he says, "It doesn't bother me because I'm used to it."

Bob Page owns the company and has built it into a roughly $70 million-a-year business. It was his idea to allow dogs. Dogs are welcome in the office, in the warehouse, and even in the showroom.

Bringing dogs to work might make good business sense, according to one survey that found 46 million Americans would work longer hours if they were allowed to bring their furry companions into work with them.

So what used to be unheard of is now becoming almost commonplace. About 20 percent of American companies, including giants like Google, allow dogs in the office. The theory is that dogs reduce stress — and that's good for business.

"Anytime you have an employee that's content, I think they become more productive in general," Page says. By and large, the dogs get along and express themselves only occasionally.
But have the dogs ever had an accident in the store? "Well, they do occasionally have accidents," Page admits.

Coco got a little overexcited, but Hayes handled it. He went on with his day, Coco went on with hers — and throughout the office, it was business as usual.

And don't forget kitties...they go nicely at work too...


Ahhh, cute puppies and kitties. I once worked in an office with the dogs and cats and it was a very productive place and a relaxed atmosphere. We did have one problem - people who are allergic to cats. One lady had to quit because she kept having asthma attacks. We all loved her too. Wish we could have found a common ground.


I used to work at a job where I could bring my dog to work. It was fun. He stayed on a leash beside my desk. Each morning he would get excited because he knew that he would be my co-pilot as "we" drove to work.

A place like Mr Pop's lab wouldn't be a good place for pets, with the hair and all the expensive sensitive equipment. But it could work in lots of other professional places.


I would love to bring my Natty to work and she would love it too! But we aren't even allowed to wear scent or scented anything at work, so pets would never be allowed. I did work at a place that had big dogs wandering around, it was great! I was doing a temp job of transcribing victims' statements about their abuse. The dogs were very therapeutic in that situation!


I visit several clients that allow folks to bring their pets to work. They all seem to be well behaved and I can see that it would promote a happier workplace. I know I used to rush home so the dogs could be let out and fret when I was delayed.


Not to be too much of a wet towel, but Peacechick's story of the woman who was allergic is one that should not be taken too lightly. Dander can provoke severe allergic reactions in some people. Animal friendly offices are a great thing if a company makes allowances for the sensitive.

If not, then I don't see the difference between pet friendly office and an office that refuses to deal with ventilation issues that often sicken its employees.


If my boss went for this I'd have a thing or two to tell them down at the Humane Society!


Seeing how I'm a professional chef, I believe the Health Department would frown on me bringing ol' Findo to work with me. Now if I only could find a job that would let me do this.


There is a National Bring Your Dog to Work Day. This year it was June 23rd. Several years ago my husband tried to get his company to recognize Bring Your Dog to Work Day - but unfortunately - they said no. I do like the idea very much though. When my dog was going through chemo we didn't want to leave him alone - so I got in the habit of bringing him to the theatre with me. He was very good about it - and enjoyed not having to be alone. I wish every employer would understand that a family often consists of pets as well.


Sumo that kitty pic reminded me of the website "Cats In Sinks"!I wish I had a dog again...

I cant imagine dogs in the china showroom though! What if they got rowdy? Spring Fever???

Another issue of course are the allergies and if they dont get along well. I am sure they would have to be well trained, friendly, and...fixed!!!That's a must!!!

Sumo got your note about TBR. I wonder if there's a capital letter or something like that? I dont think the log in is case sensitive. If it was before June or so and you registered but have not logged in, you would probably not be in the new updated file system. I am not sure how long ago you registered. I'm guessing thats it, when we updated it kicked you off somehow. I'm truly sorry if that happened and of course we welcome your participation. Don't give up on us Sumo!! We can work it out!

Also on Gynocracy I posted a "FAQ" link today to explain chat, forums, gallery. etc. Also TBR now has a Frequently Asked Questions link (left) and Peace Train too. That might help people out with questions. Let me know if you have trouble. I will also send a message to Dude, The WebMaestro.


LOL I posted when FLS was here and her blog is where I learned of Cats In Sinks!!!

Post a Comment


Bring it On!

Who Links Here

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines

Get Firefox!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com