To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order, to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right. Confucius

Sumo Merriment

« Home | Any Special Wands Out There For Rummy?... » | Read Them And Weep... » | To The Rescue... » | Super-Duper Good Reason For The Morning After Pill... » | Stem-Cell Breakthrough... » | Judge rejects Bush plan to log in Sequoia National... » | Yes!... » | The Organ Grinder's Monkey Says... » | Is Nothing Sacred?... » | I'm AWOL...in the Pond!... »



The Face Of America...

|

I wrote this last year on September 4th when things were still going hinky in the aftermath of Katrina. It still seems like the job is botched and nearly no end in sight to get that needed help. I used this same picture but it was gone in the archive. So I borrowed this from Shakespeares Sister.




A flag is many things to many people. In the aftermath of Katrina this blanket of the American flag is her comfort. Little did she know that help wasn't on the way. An old woman now...probably worked hard all of her life as someone's maid or housekeeper. She had old age to look forward to and a country that offered its citizens a pension for their old years. Of course it isn't enough for a mouse to subsist on...but no matter. This is America...where she has freedom and democracy. This is America... where her people are disenfranchised from what the Constitution equally bestowed upon its nation's people.

This is America where the haves have it all. They have food and water...they have toilets and beds...they have clean clothes and the comfort of closing their doors at night and locking out the world. They cloak themselves in their flags and bake-sales for their churches...cloak themselves in the knowledge that they are on the right side of freedom and democracy. They cloak themselves into believing in an administration that bought and sold them. They have thrown the cloak over their head and will not look out.

So...this old woman seeking refuge under this blanket sits there waiting for what will not come. The America she trusted and loved isn't coming to her aid. She is being left out in the heat of the day and the cool of the night...for days and nights to come. All around her are babies and children that she wishes she could get out of her chair to help...they're babies for goodness sakes...they need her help. She gets tired. She gets hungry...and she knows she'll eventually soil herself. Where is America? These old folks and children will die if we don't get some help here she says. She wraps the flag blanket closer...it's becoming night again...and she waits another night for her America that she worked all her life for...facing the night in her chair again... cloaked in her flag of America. The America that has assured her freedom and democracy.










crossposted@Blanton's & Ashton's


I have been watching CSPAN's coverage of Katrina now and it is great. people are still pissed, and rightfully so.


I know the whole place can't be fixed in a years time...but certainly more could have been accomplished. Oh...I forgot...we are spending gazillions in Iraq...which if infinitely more important to be killing the innocent people there...rather than the guilty ones of course. There's a special place for the person/s pulling these strings!


It's not that it's not fixed in one year that causes me pain, it's that people were not rescued in the first place. I will never forget the anguish we went through having to yell at our government to do something! Gret post today, Sumo. I'm so used to greatness from you that I forget to tell you sometimes.


It's such a sad story, and one that's not done yet.

Hey, I got on today! Thanks for your thoughtful and insightful comments, they were very helpful.


I often wonder if this would have been done differently if we had not been in this hellish war.


Mary...you're right about the late rescue...and thanks again for being nice.

PBS...glad you made it...hope it lasts this time. And I think the sadness may last for years...I don't see how those that go back that have lived there for generations could ever forget.

POP...I've also wondered if there might not be a difference in response if that (damn war) hadn't happened. I'd like to think that they would have done more for the levees prior to Katrina. What do these jokers do with the appropriate money anyway?!


Good 'toons.

Without being too specific, what part of CA are you in? I'm in the Eastern Sierra.


Nice post Sumo. I think the response would have been more forthcoming (money and personnel) if the Iraq disaster wasn't happening but the inept response would have been the same. The political appointments that Bush has made created a dysfunctional DHS and FEMA and they would have done as badly regardless.


I saw him on TV twice today. That is two times over my limit. If I go over my limit, I lapse into a frothing fit.


GRRRRRRRRRR.


Gordon...San Joaqin Valley...hate it! I'm a surfer from the 60's that got transplanted in Okie Town USA a few years back...and I'm still trying to get back to the beach. Once you've had the California beaches in your blood...nothing else will do. Oh, and welcome to Sumoland...hope you'll visit again.


Monk...your right...Iraq or not...his appointments always stink.

Poobie...I know what you mean about watching him....not ony is it painful and embarrassing...but it ain't a pretty sight at all if we're looking hydrophobic.

Post a Comment


Bring it On!

Who Links Here

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines

Get Firefox!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com